Near miss with disaster potential
An error which left a valve standing open caused 1.2 million litres of gas to be driven under high pressure into platform areas on Draugen where people were working.
Taking place on 12 May 1999, this incident was potentially extremely dangerous. The smallest spark from striking metal could have caused an explosion. Shell said that the leak was spotted immediately, but it took no less than 12 minutes before the valve had been closed.
This serious near-miss was caused by a combination of human error and a failure in safety routines.[REMOVE]Fotnote: Aftenposten, 24 June 1999, “Nestenulykke på Draugen”.Arbitration win for KværnerMillennium celebration
More about history
Shell was appointed operator of production licence 093 in Norway’s eighth offshore licensing round. The first exploration well on this acreage indicated a big potential for a commercial discovery.